Wednesday 31 July 2019

The Big Finish Catch-Up July 2019

For those of you new to this section of the blog, I started listening to the Big Finish Doctor Who releases when they started back in 1999, getting them as they were released up to mid 2002 and release No 33 Neverland. At that time I left Uni and due to being a bit busy with life and what not I only heard one or two releases over the next few years. I started getting back into them around 2008 and was 6 years behind at that point. Due to wondering off into the Lost Doctor range and a relaxed listening pace I fell further behind. In order to catch up I'm listening to two releases a month (or more when its a 60 min single disc release, plus without seeing the cover or knowing anything about the story) and my mission to catch up continues;

First up this month is "All Consuming Fire" from the novelisation range featuring the 7th Doctor, Ace and Bernice. A very notable story as it features a guest appearance from Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. Its a fun little story of a book I never got around to reading, if I'd known this story was coming I may have been disappointed but as with the format of this blog its a fun throwaway story 6/10.

Next up is "The Isos Network" my second trip to the Early Years range featuring the 2nd Doctor, Jamie and Zoe. Its a really good atmospheric, well written and acted story. Frazer Hines does a very good Patrick Troughton impersonation and hearing this Doctor face the Cybermen brought back waves of nostalgia. 8/10 and it would have been higher if the story didn't grind to a halt for the middle two episodes.

Finally "The Seeds of War" a rare recent trip into the monthly range featuring the 6th Doctor and Mel. A very good moody small scale story set against the backdrop of a large scale space war. Also a very good way of introducing a new regular villain that I look forward to hearing again 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment