Wednesday 8 January 2020

A Good December And A Rubbish 2019

Good afternoon lady and gentle readers, as I start this entry it is a dark wet Wednesday and the start of the second week of 2020. With a clear week between the present and the previous year I want to take a look back at 2019, reflect and see what I can bring forward into 2020.

2019 was a very low year for me personally, towards the end of 2018 I had joined a hospitality company who operated the contracts for the three biggest stadiums in South Wales. I shall be referring to them a "the company" as I signed forms that said I wouldn't mention them by name on social media and quite frankly I really enjoy working with them and don't want to screw it up. So even though I was unemployed I would have 4/5 hours a weeks work casual employment. At a low ebb going into this job I was enjoying my weekly trips to work but unfortunately it had little effect on my job hunting. Looking back to my diary January is littered with applications that looked positive until the employer realised I was trans gender then dropped interest in me.

This is the story of my year up until May, at that time I found out that the company had lost the contract for the Liberty Stadium as well as The Principality. Meaning I could only do matches at the ground of the Cardiff City which after travel and being taxed 63% of earnings as I'm on Universal Credit meant I'd be making about £1.00 a shift. Fortunately a new company took the contract at Swansea and I was transferred over. However as we were now approaching the end of the football and rugby season work was about to dry up.

I put my name down with agencies that I knew had contracts for venues in Wales but on hearing I was trans they would shelve my application or come up with blatantly made up excuses not to take me on. Eventually I passed an interview with a company that cater to events and venues all over the country. They were doing a good number of events in my area so summer should have been busy. However they shelved my application, after two months of phoning and making a nuisance of myself I was finally registered but at this point there was only one event left in Wales which resulted in me going a few months without work.

I'd love to be putting something else into this blog entry at this point, telling you about something amazing that I did or someone I met that would go on to have a significant effect on my life. But when the world decides to put you on the shelf it stops everything and at some point during this year I lost the will to do anything. I stopped doing the things that I enjoyed due to feeling low and cost - long term readers might have noticed there were less entries on this blog. But as the title to this blog points out there is a good ending.

At the tail end of July the football season started back and with friendlies fast approaching I found myself booked for a number of Saturdays in a row. Summer was in full force, there were faces I hadn't seen in months, new systems, a new company, a new menu and I threw myself into things. Typing now from two thirds into the season I've done every home game at the Liberty bar one due to public transport on Sunday mornings being non-existent.

Around October I was asked after a shift if I was interested in being a team leader to which I said yes. My hours were extended at this point coming in to help pre match on game days and a few other various things that I enjoyed. In December there were a lot of Hospitality shifts and I put my name down for all I could. Which meant for December it felt like I was virtually full time employed, during this time a manager happened to be nearby when I was briefing a team of mostly newbies and apparently I impressed them.

So what have we learnt readers? I for one am greeting 2020 with good vibrations, I'm keeping the positive energy from December, tearing up the rest of 2019 and throwing it into the bin.

Lets make this a good year...

No comments:

Post a Comment