Monday 5 July 2021

The Empire Strikes Back - Review

The Empire Strikes Back 9.5/10


As a child this was the Star Wars film that wasn't as much fun as the other two, its improved with age. The sexual tension between the characters is fun, there is more overt comedy than the other early films - in particular Chewy, Yoda, R2 and 3PO, there are loads of cool bits I remember with the ships, effects and everything. In particular I loved the snow speeders as a kid and they still press my fan buttons. 


I'd forgot how tight this film was, from the sets to the plot its possibly the slickest production of the entire franchise. Hoth feels dangerous before the Empire turn up, the Rebellion are battling conditions, the conditions and at times even their technology. Harrison Ford has turned into a meme in recent times over how laid back and dry he is in real life but on screen he's carrying the sass and its up to everyone else to keep up. You take him out of this film and you take away the heart of the film.


I can't give this a full 10/10 due to the Dagobah stuff - it belongs in a series in a film format it doesn't work or at least needs a montage. Also some of the action sequences are a bit "Michael Bay" and the physical geography is a bit bonkers. Bar that it still stands up and I like it better than in my youth.


Oooh, those new effects though, I proper dig seeing more of Cloud City than just the corridors.

No comments:

Post a Comment