Tuesday 18 January 2022

I Care About Aston Villa?!?!?!?!!

Aston Villa for me has always been a strange club, I've never had a strong opinion of it be it positive or negative. Its always been a club that's hung in the background for me and bar a bonkers high scoring midweek game against Liverpool I can't summon a single memory of them. They've always been there - often finishing 8th or or fighting relegation - until they weren't but then they came back again. 

But things are changing, back in November Steven Gerrard took over the management reigns from Dean Smith and this raised an eyebrow from me. After a couple of seasons in Scotland managing Rangers I finally get a chance to see how good a manager is, no offence to Scottish readers but its hard to tell how good an Old Firm manager is at times especially up against Neil Lennon and the other guy. Now that he's managing in a league I'm familiar with him I can properly give him the once over. He's got off to a decent start and now he's getting involved in the transfer window - putting his mark on the Villa side.

Not only that he's signed Philippe Coutinho! One of my favourite Liverpool players of the last ten years. Although he's not done a lot in the last two seasons due to injuries but he's racked up the trophies. A lot of people have said he's underachieved since leaving Liverpool but his first season and a half for Barcelona was good stuff as was his loan at Bayern. He still has his pace, an eye for a pass, the ability to score and create a goal.

This is a good move and if Coutinho can keep himself fit he can do some good stuff on loan at Villa this season. Its also the best time for him, we're getting out of winter Spring is coming and he has a World Cup to motivate himself for. Also the transfer window isn't over yet Lucas Digne has also been signed and there is still time for Steven Gerrard to do more.

All I know is with the introduction of Steven Gerrard and Philippe Coutinho to the saga of Aston Villa I'm keeping a closer eye on that club in the background. 2022 January isn't over yet and you've already got me caring about Aston Villa, you are already more intriguing  than the last two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment