Thursday 5 June 2014

D Day

So at quarter past two in the afternoon I sat down at my lap top to have a wonder around the interweb and stretch my online retail skills. Lo and behold on checking the BBC News sight I saw three stories down that it was D Day.

Seriously three stories down under Birmingham school kids not being protected from extremist views and the ECB cutting interest rates by 0.15%?!?!?!?!?!?! What the hell is wrong with this country? What the hell is wrong with the media in this country? A footballer sleeps with a prostitute and their all over it but this is the anniversary of one of the greatest military campaigns in history to end a war that many of our grandparents fought in to end the atrocities perpetrated by the Natzis.

On top of that its also the 70th Anniversary of D Day, not 68th or 37th or some obscure number and at times it genuinely feels like nobody cares that they don't live in a fascist state. I've been out and about today and in town there were banners commemorating the world cup about to start but nothing else. I didn't see any soldiers parading, no school children's choir singing - absolute nothing.

I'm aware that the BBC had a lengthy feature on the news channel this morning but personally I don't think its enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment