Saturday 15 November 2014

TV Corner - Doctor Who Season 8 Review

As the clock reaches half past November another season of Doctor Who has gone by and its time for this viewer to cast a critical eye over this years offerings. Its certainly been an engrossing year, I for one have certainly found it dynamic but ladies and gentle readers lets dive in and see if I thought it was any good...



Deep Breath


If I have to pick one word to describe this episode it would be awkward, not only the episode it fits the Doctor too. After the traumatic regeneration of the Christmas story he still hasn't recovered yet, which is wonderful as we get a story with a bonkers Doctor whose personality hasn't settled down yet. A really good aspect I like of this is for the first part of the story he's still talking as if he's his previous self - certainly now that 12's got a season under his belt yelling at a dinosaur calling her sexy is clearly not him. On top of that among the supporting cast is the Paternoster gang more commonly associated with the 11th Doctor. In short theres a lot of 11 Doctor trappings in this story to keep the casual viewer comfortable as we embark on the adventures of the current Doctor, rather akin to how Tom Bakers start was wrapped up in a UNIT story feeling like it could have fit anywhere in Jon Pertwees reign.

When Peter Capaldi gets going we see him in short bursts, he falls asleep, wonders off and disappears at various stages when he's in full flow pulling the viewer in and wanting to see more of this new Doctor I'd probably blame the English. This Doctor is wonderfully awkward as is his interactions with Clara and everyone else, its noticeable that the most Doctorish Capaldi gets is when he's finally facing a villain. As an episode its quite an odd one, I've gotten the thought into my head that given the title it echoes taking a deep breath after some kind of traumatic event given the stop start nature of the story. There's a lot going on here, the after effects of the regeneration, the spontaneous combustion mystery, Clara getting to know this new Doctor and the Paternoster gang. As a villain the cyborgs are an interesting take and update on the clockwork robots and its understandable we're not getting an original villain as the main focus on this story is the regeneration. 

As an episode I think its a juicy start to the season, personally I think visually it looks like there's been a change of style. As I said its a little bit stop start and the direction is also much of the same and for a rather intimate story it did make me feel somewhat uninvolved. My personal rating of this story is that its rather a nice little gentle start with an odd surprise in Missy and an unexpected cameo from Matt.



Into the Dalek


I know it sounds daft saying this but I think this episode is one that will be able to fit anywhere into Capaldi's era. Already in his second story Peter feels like he's on top of his game and has nailed the character, I actually found it a little disconcerting how dynamic his performance is after standing awkwardly while getting hugged at the end of the previous episode. He's able to pilot the TARDIS to the point he can materialise around someone and he's facing off against one of his biggest enemies. A world a way from the previous episode, as is the direction which is strange as its the same director. Visually its very blue and it works with the Dalek and in this scifi environment, from memory I think its a colour the series hasn't really embraced and helps differentiate this story from other Dalek episodes. Talking about Rusty, in his action shots this may be the best the Daleks have been shot on camera since Joe Ahearne back in 2005.
We get the introduction of Danny this episode as well as seeing Clara at Coal Hill School, it also gives us our first look at the Doctor picking her up for a trip which we'd see a lot of this season. Another good aspect of this story is the rebel crew of the Aristotle, Zawe Ashton is fantastic and I really wish we'd have seen more of Michael Smiley who I find very watchable.
Summing up this is a very strong and pivotal story with a good hook of being shrunk and going inside the Dalek. The Doctor is on his game throughout the story so the end when he's taken aback about Rusty seeing so much hate in him is a rather unexpected swerve - Capaldi looks so sweet in that final scene with Clara. Really good and strong stuff stuff however the format of the show slightly reigns the glory of this episode in, I think it should have been a two part story, theres a bit of rushing near the end and there are so many directions to take the story concept that the story doesn't venture into.



Robot of Sherwood


Every so often theres a story that comes along for a Doctor where the stories fun, the cast & crew are having a ball and the viewers are having a ball - the tradition that is the good old romp. Pick a Doctor and I'll reel a off a romp - Hartnell has The Myth Makers, Pertwee has The Time Warrior, Davison has The Visitation to name a few. You've got a returning writer who can pen a yarn, a star a few stories in two guest stars Ben Miller and Tom Riley, lets do Robin Hood! We get what it says on the tin, a good fun romp, some good scenes the cast throw themselves into, a good little story and some highly quotable lines. 



Listen


We've had a romp and now we go for another Doctor Who tradition, the atypical story that really puts proof to the mantra you can do anything in Doctor Who. Some other examples of this are The Mind Robber, Warriors Gate, Fathers Day & Vincent and The Doctor. The kind of story which is one giant curve ball and leaves the viewer constantly stating "I wasn't expect THAT!" If I was the sort of person who rated things out of 10 this episode would be just a string of tens. That shot of Peter sat on the TARDIS meditating before opening his eyes is fantastic - the money shot of the advertising campaign. Its another strong directorial performance, Douglas Mackinnon I take my hat off to you. 
All through the episode I never took my eyes off the screen once, I was glued through the scenes and surprises. I love the bedroom scene with Danny, those not into the horror genre may not enjoy it so much but I really dig these scenes that start off as one thing but turn up the tension and become something else. There were so many twists and turns in this story, the date being interrupted by someone in a space suit, the last room at the end of the universe, an unexpected trip to Gallifrey and things that go bump under the bed. I truly think this story was something special.



Time Heist


I'm in two minds over this story, on one hand we have a good little caper going on and the other a disappointment. Theres good stuff going on here but to me this is the classic example of an episode that is ruined by the format. I like it but it should have been given more room to breathe, we're thrown in at the deep end which is nice but after that its rush rush rush as they try to cram the plot and set pieces into 45 minutes. Keeley Hawes is good value with a nice little twist to her role, the rest of cast are good, a nice little swerve at the end and being thrown in at the start with no knowledge of whats going on is a fantastic move. A good little story but could have been so much better.



The Caretaker


This is a rather charming cute little story, the Skovox is a fun bit of fluff but the main meat of this story is The Doctor, Clara and Danny. Theres no way of beating around the bush, I lost interest in Danny at this point he becomes a complete buzz kill and starts killing every scene he's in. Danny discovers Clara's double life and its not done in an interesting or dramatic way to keep me watching. I lost interest in the episode, found myself glancing at the clock. There's a lot of cute scenes with The Doctor passing as a caretaker but there isn't really enough of this. There's no beating about this bush I don't want these stories from Gareth Roberts - I want the Gareth Roberts who wrote An English Way of Death, The Once Doctor, The Plotters and The Shakespeare Code not the one who does banter/filler episodes. There's good stuff here but its not a story I really care for.



Kill the Moon


Rather like the previous story I have to declare I find the central moral set piece of this story uninteresting, however I still think its a cracking episode. The school girl is quite fun and Hermione Norris adds tons of weight to her role. This episode is at its best early in the story when its trying to do a Hinchcliffe the Hinchcliffe era and scare the kids. Proper good stuff here as they explore the colony, its loses itself in the moral set piece but the verve of the story is enough to pull things along. I think the end is at best clunky, The Doctor has form of this sort of thing and as Clara was spliced along his time line she should be aware of this. All in all good but not great and a decent stab at tackling horror.



Mummy on the Orient Express


Right from the opening seconds of this episode I knew it was going to be a good one, a creepy mummy slowly walking towards an elderly lady who is the only one who can see it - IN SPACE! Whats not to like The Doctor is lured onto the train by Gus to investigate and its a crash bang wallop 45 minutes as The Doctor attempts to solve the problem and save everyone. I must mention Frank Skinner as he's utterly wonderful as Perkins, also of note is David Bamber whose also good value. As well as the mummy, Gus the computer system is also a good villain (He knows the Doctors phone number!), sounding all pompously middle management then calmly killing the cooks to make his point - this is the sort of character that reminds me of Robert Holmes. There are a few twists like when most of the crew are revealed to be holograms and a lovely few scenes with The Doctor and Clara tucked away at the end. Really really good stuff from all involved and a cracking story.



Flatline


As an episode it didn't really click with me, theres some fun stuff like The Doctor getting stuck in the TARDIS and Clara having to handle things outside but I feel like I'm watching a first draft. Christopher Fairbank is wasted and the guest characters are awful - truly awful. At the end the survivors are having an emotional moment including a train driver who only turned up five minutes before the end. The Boneless are at time wonderfully scary and at other times vaguely hotchpotch looking not quite all there. In short decent but it feels rushed.



In the Forest of the Night


A quiet little story tucked in near the end of the season before the crash bang wallop finale. I like this one, as a story its what I like to refer as a "short trip" one of those quick stories that if novelised would come out at the length of a short story. Again its shot very well, in particular Maebh running through the forest and I was glued to the screen throughout. Its rather atypical and as a result I found myself more drawn in wondering where things were going than usual. Once it settles down it does feel a tad twee however it remains enjoyable. The kids are quite good value and most of them get characters, Capaldi is on fine form throughout. I mentioned earlier that I lost interest in Danny earlier but here he's down right annoying. All in all a nice little diversion before the end and it actually does better than quite a few stories from seasons past tucked in before the end.



Dark Heaven


As is traditional in Doctor Who fandom when we get a two part story we glue the titles together for a joint title and I'm going with Dark Heaven. I've mentioned previously that a few stories were let down by to much rushing and not having room to breathe, here we have a perfect example of why two parters rock. The first episode is mainly swerve balls being thrown at the audience - a regular is killed off before the titles! The volcano scene is brilliant as is The Doctors reaction at the end. When the TARDIS lands in St Paul's Cathedral I genuinely thought they'd landed in the after life. Missy pretending to be a robot is fantastic - just before she reveals her identity I was convinced she was Susan the one you abandoned. Danny plot line in this story is quite moving and Sam Anderson actually gives his best performances here. All in all the first part is surprise after surprise and even if you didn't avoid spoilers there must have been some that took you by surprise. The end of the first episode with The Doctor surrounded by The Master and the Cybermen is brilliant - ST PAUL'S certainly pressed my buttons.
I don't think the second part is as strong as the first, we get rather a cheap swerve as Clara declares she's The Doctor and suddenly gets an appearance in the title but we know its bollocks. Michelle Gomez comes into her own in this episode her interpretation of The Master as a bat shit crazy Mary Poppins on acid is brilliant. I'm already preferring her to the previous incarnation. UNIT put in an appearance but to be honest bar the set piece of the plane being ripped apart and Osgood's death it feels like their scenes are treading water and killing time. 
I'm not to crazy about the Cybermen to be honest, I don't think they are a monster that the series has got to grips with post 2005. There is however a brilliant scene as they come to life in the graves as Clara walks through the graveyard. Also I'm in two minds about the Brigadiers appearance, whilst it was lovely he saved Kate and got a salute I don't really like the idea of Lethbridge-Stewart (or any other dead companion like Jamie) going through hell in the Nethersphere as The Master tries to get them to delete their emotions.
Oh but the ending is bittersweet as The Doctor believes The Masters final lie, Capaldi is brilliant - I love that he opened the doors to see with his own eyes instead of using the scanner. Its a sad ending as both The Doctor and Clara part ways each trying to bluff each other that they've moved on but a fantastic ending as The Doctors life takes an unexpected turn.

As a general overview I really enjoyed this season (as you'll have learnt from above I am a notoriously hard marker) and I think this is the best season in recent years. The majority of the last two seasons have included stories which improved on a re-watch when this seasons felt more dynamic and made an instant impression. Peter Capaldi with a season now under his belt has shown to be an impressive Doctor, he's as different from Matt as Matt was from David. I enjoy the spikier more awkward Doctors and look forward to The Christmas special. We had a number of high quality quest stars this year with Frank Skinner, Hermione Norris and Michelle Gomez impressing. I hope to see more of Michelle Gomez as I don't believe The Masters dead one bit. Bar the odd story I wasn't to keen on the writers have put a good shift in this year but the stars of the production team have been the directors with Rachel Talalay for the finale, Ben Weatley for Into the Dalek and Paul Wilmshurst for his two episodes being the most impressive.

Plaudits to all around and I can't wait for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment