Sunday 7 December 2014

The Big Finish Catch Up: November 2014

In my ongoing mission to catch up with Big Finishes audio range I'm still making my way through the monthly ranges 2005 output...


  
We start of with Other Lives featuring the 8th Doctor, Charley and C'rizz. This is without doubt the most enjoyable story the 8th Doctor has had in absolute ages. Due to the 8th Doctors story going in a certain direction since Zagreus we've had by and large a certain type of story, a lot of angst and this crew in particular being put through the ringer. This story is just pure fun and in places a joyous farce, there's the odd bit of steel noticeably when a certain ongoing plot is touched on slightly but apart from that this is the most fun the 8th Doctor stuff has been in ages. Highly recommended and top scores all around from me.




Next up is Thicker Than Water, I must state I know this isn't in the right order, but I try not to look at story titles, covers or numbers and sometimes listen to them slightly out of order. This story features the 6th Doctor, Mel and Evelyn, its also a sequel to Arrangements For War which is a personal favourite of mine. Possibly not one I recommend as a one off purchase as its more of a farewell to Evelyn who gets a lovely "happy ever after" and a surprising cameo with some revealing information for another character. A lovely intimate story and its good to see Sixy being so proud of the affect Evelyn had on him as he pays a visit to her years after they parted when he's traveling with Mel. Another thumbs up, its good to see Big Finish revisit the scenes of its top stories. Like I said earlier I don't look up details of stories I've not heard so I assume its the last appearance for Evelyn and its a very fond farewell. Sadly Maggie Stables who played Evelyn passed away recently and she'll always be remembered in Doctor Who fandom for her work with the Six Doctor and her help in molding him into who Colin wanted to portray on screen as well as on audio. RIP Maggie and I hope you enjoyed every moment life threw at you.


No comments:

Post a Comment