Sunday 8 March 2015

The Big Finish Catch Up: February 2015

The Big Finish catch up marathon reaches a major milestone this month, but more on that later. For those of you new to this section of the blog, I started getting the Big Finish Doctor Who releases when they started back in 1999, getting them as they were released up to mid 2002 and release No 33 Neverland. At that time I left Uni and do to being a bit busy with life and what not I only heard one or two releases over the next few years. I started getting back into them around 2008 and was 6 years behind at that point. Due to wondering off into the Lost Doctor range, nipping ahead and getting a few releases on offer I fell further behind. In order to catch up I'm listening to two releases a month (without seeing the cover or knowing anything about the story) and my mission to catch up continues;




I'm afraid I can't say anything nice about this one, it was an absolute chore to listen to. It veers from vague to awful, it contains some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard and is padded beyond belief. I was disappointed to see Robert Ross was the writer as his debut was a powerful story and a world a way from this. It was strange to hear Evelyn as I thought "Thicker than Water" was her exit story. The one good thing I'll take a way is I've got more of Maggie Stables to enjoy. Also of note was on looking at the CD case after listening I saw we were now in 2006 and this catch up is only 9 and a bit years behind.




Now this is more like it, right from the start I knew this was going to be good, a very moody start with a medical operation about to be conducted and the TARDIS arriving in some woods. Its got to the point now whenever I hear the 7th Doctors music on a Big Finish night I'm hoping for Ace and Hex to be the companions - I haven't heard a story featuring this TARDIS crew that I haven't fully enjoyed. This is brilliant Who, an isolated community with dark secrets, the 7th Doctor knowing more than he's saying and a whodunit plot that evolves into something else part way through the story.

Its a few weeks on from listening and there are so many scenes that have vividly stayed in my memory. I'm not having to jog the grey cells to remember anything and have to say this is the best Big Finish releases I've heard in the last few months, certainly up there with Other Lives and the Benny box set. 

 I'm not too sure weather the end of the story makes sense but willing to believe a second listen will clear up the few questions I have. I look forward to hearing Edward Youngs future work if he pops up again however I don't look forward to the next time I hear someone whistle "oranges and lemons" in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment