Saturday 11 March 2017

The Big Finish Catch-Up: November 2016

For those of you new to this section of the blog, I started listening to the Big Finish Doctor Who releases when they started back in 1999, getting them as they were released up to mid 2002 and release No 33 Neverland. At that time I left Uni and due to being a bit busy with life and what not I only heard one or two releases over the next few years. I started getting back into them around 2008 and was 6 years behind at that point. Due to wondering off into the Lost Doctor range and a relaxed listening pace I fell further behind. In order to catch up I'm listening to two releases a month (or more when its a 60 min single disc release, plus without seeing the cover or knowing anything about the story) and my mission to catch up continues;



First up this month is the main range story featuring the 5th Doctor and Nyssa. This is a very very good story on so many levels. Every episode has a different feel from the rest of the story, in particular the first episode really draws the listener in before dropping a cliffhanger on us that would have had even the those who listen to one episode a night rushing straight into the next episode. I especially enjoyed the situation the regulars found themselves in and how it related to the first episode.

The story leaves the regulars in a very interesting position and I can't wait until the next story this team of regulars turn up in. Of note when I finished the story and had a look at the CD case I was pleased to see it was written by Jonathan Morris who is one of my favourite writers in the range and that the guest cast had a 90's sitcom theme featuring Leslie Ash from Men Behaving Badly and John Pickard from 2.4 Children who gave good performances although I didn't recognise them. 9/10





Up next its the "Classic Doctors New Monsters" range featuring the 5th Doctor and the Weeping Angels. I'm so pleased that the Angels have popped up in this box set, as I said in the Sycorax story I'm aware of the concept but don't know which Doctors or monsters are in it. Some people may think its brave to have a story with a silent monster but I say Big Finish have earned my trust and I'm in whatever happens. Its another 90's TV guest star in Matthew Kelly off of "Stars in their Eyes." Its good to see the 5th Doctor have a go with the Angels given that later more experienced Doctors have been challenged by them. Its not as "timey wimey" as you might think and is a good action story. 8/10





The final listen of the month was the 8th Doctor range featuring the 8th Doctor and Lucie in a funny little story with "Doctor Who" doing "Top Gear" IN SPACE! I like it when Doctor Who does comedy and this story really goes for it and is the stronger for it. In particular Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith sound like they're having a whale of a time. I'm pretty sure this may be the first time this range has done a comedy and the 8th Doctor do one since Faith Stealer which was ages ago - we've had a few moments particularly in the first series of this range and its good that this story goes full on out. I was surprised when I checked the CD case and saw it was another story written by Jonathan Morris - you wait ages for one then two come along at once! Really good stuff, you'll get more of you're familiar with Top Gear and a strong 8/10 from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment