Thursday 31 August 2017

Thoughts on Virgil van Dijk going into Transfer Day


I don't understand Liverpool FC fandoms obsession with Virgil van Dijk.

I'm not here to bury him I'm not here to praise him I'm not here to bury him I'm here to give my take on the situation and tell the facts how I see them.

First things first, van Dijk is a perfectly decent centre back, Liverpool don't need a perfectly decent centre back. We should be looking for someone a level higher up than that. Liverpool are in the Champions League for the second time in nine seasons. If Liverpool want to stay at this level and push on we need to be looking for a centre back with top quality experience at this level. There are plenty of very good players currently at teams who have fallen out of a Champions League spot or still in them who we are in a position to try and sign them.

This is the level of player I think we should be going for, instead Liverpool fans have developed an obsession for Virgil van Dijk whose experience of the Champions League is losing with Celtic and winning two SPL titles with no opposition for Celtic. I've heard talk of van Dijk taking the Premiership by storm over the last two years, which conveniently forgets he spent half of last season out injured.

I'm not saying don't buy him, if anything I'd put out a case for bringing him in January. In short he just isn't a priority we need to be going for a defender with go faster stripes who is going to drag the rest of the defence up by their bootstraps. I have seen nothing to convince me that Virgil van Dijk is that player, as such he isn't a deadline day priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment