Thursday 3 January 2019

2018 Rankings of Films I Saw in the Cinema

Good afternoon ladies and gentle readers as is tradition we start the new year off with lists about the old one. During the course of 2018 I saw nine films and ranked them as follows

The Meg - a fun OTT summer block buster where Jason Statham takes on a giant shark. As a film it was a bit of a banter and a fun evening out. 7/10

The Crimes of Grindelwald - the second in the "Fantastic Creatures" series and an alright film. I enjoy seeing new things in this cinematic universe but the film lacked a final act. 7/10

A Star is Born - a good romantic comedy that one me over with the cinema and directorial aspects rather than the story. 7/10

Ant-Man and the Wasp - a fun superhero comedic heist film. 8/10

Black Panther - another winner for the marvel cinematic universe. 8/10

Into the Spiderverse - a fun animation with various otherworld versions of Spiderman. Possibly the most engaging and edge of the seat release I saw at the cinema this year. 8/10

The Greatest Showman - yes I was late to the party and saw it in 2018, a fantastic musical with songs that are already being covered in adverts less than a year later. It gets a high mark due to the verve of the production. 9/10

Ready Player One - Steven Spielberg back to his blockbuster best in a virtual reality film full of pop culture references to my life. 9.5/10

Avengers Infinity War - this took me back to being a kid and the excitement when the X-men, Avengers and Spiderman would get together in a team up like Secret Wars. Really brought out the five year old in me. 10/10

Bohemian Rhapsody - my top film of the year a Freddie Mercury biopic starting from the beginning of Queen and taking us up to Live Aid. I saw it twice and will be watching it again, not only did it strike the right notes as a fan but it was a fun laugh out loud film  10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment