Sunday 2 August 2020

Big Finish Monthly Range Ranked: 80-71

Good afternoon lady and gentle readers, recently it was Big Finishes 21st anniversary of releasing Doctor Who output. Blimey 21 years, what better way to celebrate than with a list and for your pleasure I have ranked the first 100 releases of The Big Finish monthly range. This is the second round of the rankings taking from 80-71. Enjoy!


80. Singularity, I have a soft spot for this one as it sees the return of Mark Strickson as Turlough for what feels like the first time in ages. Earlier in the range he was the first companion to partner the 5th Doctor and it was a rare treat when he popped up. As a result I always give an internal cheer when he turns up. At this point in the range Peter Davisons Doctor does exasperation so well and with Turlough essentially being a good character and a rubbish companion makes for a good mix. A good heady mix of Russian and Alien intrigue results in an enjoyable story. Of note is the fact that as the story progresses the stakes rise.


79. The Gathering, first of all a caveat as long time readers know I listen to these audios blind without knowing anything beforehand. I also occasionally buy them blind when on offer, that was the case with this release and as such I had no idea it was part of a loose trilogy until a lot later. As a result lots of the references to other stories are lost on me. We get another 5th Doctor companion in the shape of Tegan - her first main range appearance! I'm absolutely landed as I didn't think we'd get her on board. Everything that happens in this story is technically good, raised by Janet Fielding but the story needed an edit as its so depressing. Its a good story but there isn't a lot of trademark Big Finish wit or style.


78. Dreamtime, as I sit here to type this out I have to confess this is one I don't have much memory of. There were nice ideas and its in a section of my pile that suggests I've relistened to it recently, all I can remember is it being rather earnest but likeable.


77. The Settling, another release featuring the 7th Doctor, Ace and Hex although the later two get more of the action. Clive Mantle off of Casualty gives one of the best guest performances and the story is nothing if not dramatic. Away from the drama and feel there isn't enough going on for me - in particular the way McCoys Doctor is taken out of the main plot doesn't quite do it for me. If you're looking for a release dripping in atmosphere this one is for you. I can't let this entry pass without saying it genuinely wouldn't take much for this story to go into my top ten.


76. The Last, a right moody release with a good gimmick - that they telegraph with overuse. In terms of atmosphere its similar to the previous entry in this ranking albeit worlds apart in plot and theme. The 8th Doctor, Charley and C'rizz are at a point in the alternate universe arc where things are interesting and largely fun. This story is different to those surrounding it and it feels like Big Finish are getting back to grips with the season format after a tricky 3rd season. Very good stuff albeit you can see the end coming a mile away.


75. The Land of the Dead, an early fun romp featuring the 5th Doctor and Nyssa. Good location and fun plot make for a fun play - of note there is a location layout on the sleeve to help the listener follow the action. However I don't think its needed as the dialogue puts over the layout of the house very well.


74. The Wishing Beast and Vanity Box, a rather fun if odd release. I love Paul Magrs stuff and usually when listening blind I can spot his trademarks. This release is two stories spread over four episodes - 3 and 1 respectively. Its a very surreal set of stories and I come away thinking Vanity Box is more enjoyable where The Wishing Beast feels like it isn't comfortable with its episode length. Absolute fun - gets crazy at times and has a nice camp one parter at the end.


73. Valhalla, oooh its another solo story for McCoy near the end of the 7th Doctors era. Obviously its now known as the story with Michelle Gomez in and truth be told its added a fun element to the story. Marc Platt (writer of the TV story Ghostlight) does a lot on interesting things in this story and it works as both a disaster piece and a thriller. The Doctor going to a job centre is a memorable moment as its The Doctors mood that mirrors that of Valhalla. Rest assured this story may be moody but its good.


72. Nocturne, featuring the 7th Doctor, Ace and Hex this is an absolutely fascinating play. The concept of The Doctor having another favourite planet that we've not seen before makes for a fun story, however due to the quality of the world building by Dan Abnett I feel like I'm more familiar with the planet Nocturne than I've any right to be. I care what happens to this place, I buy that The Doctor has visited it many times before and has an emotional stake in this planet. As such the play presses my buttons and gets the emotions out of me that it should.


71. Primeval, the 5th Doctor and Nyssa visit an earlier era of Traken and theres a lot of fun going on here. Of course its a sequel to Keeper of Traken and the best compliment I can give Primeval is that whenever I come away from this story I want to my Keeper DVD. This story makes me think about good and evil, its interesting and endearing. Stephen Grief another Blakes 7 alumni gives a good performance as the villain and its a good turn my all.           

No comments:

Post a Comment