Wednesday 9 July 2014

The Script Leak of Terror

For those of you who don't know five scripts from the new series of Doctor Who have been leaked, a little under two months before the series is due to air. The BBC released the following statement:

We deeply regret this and apologise to all the show's fans, the BBC and the cast and crew who have worked tirelessly making the series. We would like to make a plea to anyone who might have any of this material and [the] spoilers associated with it not to share it with a wider audience so that everyone can enjoy the show as it should be seen when it launches. We know only too well that Doctor Who fans are the best in the world and we thank them for their help with this and their continued loyalty.



I have to say in this day and age I'm surprised this kind of thing hasn't happened before and on a regular basis. In saying that it doesn't quite beat the DVD's being released before the season finale had aired the other year, when the BBC screw up they certainly screw up big. In saying that I'm well aware that a certain type of fan is currently looking up these scripts, devouring them and telling all and sundry whats in them. Personally I can't see the point, I don't want to read these new episodes - I want to see them on TV. I don't want to know who the villain of the week is or any plot developments as I want to see them and learn them as they happen.

A regular update on this blog is my effort to catch up with the big finish output as over the years I have fallen a decade or so behind. Most of this was due to periods of unemployment and money needing to go elsewhere, while this was going on I didn't read BF plot breakdowns to keep up - I waited until I could afford them. When Lost and Sky 1 disappeared from Virgin I waited until the DVD box sets came out. When a comic I read released a few preview pages I never read them - especially bloody preliminary sketches.

In short lady and gentle readers it seems that some fans these days lack discipline. Being a fan is about the show, not showing off all you know Its about the show and in some cases spoiling it. If you want to look up the scripts look them up, if you want to talk about them ask weather the person your talking to wants to discuss them or would rather not know. There is room on fandom for both sides of the spoiler debate, just keep enjoying the show and don't ruin anyone elses enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment